Monday, September 3, 2012

Derecho

June 30 was a Friday. It was warm but there was no rain locally on the radar at 5:00. There was a little red section on radar NE of Columbus. No problem; we need the rain but that storm will dissipate, as most such storms do as they move east and lose energy. Anyway, it would not arrive here until late evening.

I returned from picking up take-out food about 6:00 and noticed the sky was really black. I looked up weather radar on my phone while sitting at a traffic light. Wow! That tiny red spot seen earlier was here already; now a giant swath of red and orange sweeping towards us. Another glance to the west, and I could see sheets of rain moving fast. Suddenly the storm hit - huge gusts of wind, mainly. I could not see for the dust. Trees bent 90 degrees from wind. Trash cans were airborne. At Greene St. and Colegate Drive a traffic light is out already. We shouldn't have to worry about power at home; it almost never goes out.

I turn onto Glendale Road and head out the ridge. Will I make it home? The van lurches from wind gusts. Trees fall into the road; then just as quickly blow across to the other side. A tree trunk lands in my lane. Gingerly I inch the van forward, and it clunks over and past the trunk. Traffic slowly meanders into and out of lanes dodging around obstacles and other vehicles trying to get through.

I made it home; branches, leaves, and grit littered the streets. But there were no large trees down, thankfully. We sat down to eat the takeout burgers I so bravely carried home through the storm. Suddenly there was a loud crack and....no power. No problem; it would be back soon as in the past. The rain stopped - for all the wind, there was almost no rain.

It was quiet with no power - no TV blathering, air conditioner silent. An occasional vehicle passed out on Glendale Road. I decided to locate the handcrank radio that I had bought a few years ago - and had not really needed since then. We did have a cell phone signal, so could access the internet on mobile devices. But there was nothing as yet on local news or emergency web sites telling us what was happening. Two hours later it was getting dark.

We deployed lanterns, candles, and flashlights. Heck, I decided to dig out the headlamps I use when camping. They are so convenient because their light is there all the time and it is hands-free. I also retrieved the camp stove; we may need it for coffee and cooking. We try not to think about the food at risk in two full refrigerator-freezers.

We retreat to the basement where it is several degrees cooler. Suz works Sudoku puzzles. I read a little by lantern light and occasionally glance at the internet. The dogs look at us strangely. They know things are not right. Time for bed; no fan and no breeze means it's warm and humid. Fitful sleep gradually sets in.


Early morning. Internet news indicates almost no one in a several-state area has power. I decide to drive around town. It is eerily quiet in the dawn twilight. No one has power. Traffic lights are dark. Drivers mostly realize that all intersections become 4-way stop streets with no traffic control devices.

I notice that gas stations are dark, too, yet cars are waiting at all open pumps, hoping the power comes back soon. There were no functioning gas stations within 50 miles because of the power outage.

We work outside cleaning up the lone large branch that fell in the woods and doing our normal yard work. There is no respite from the heat. Gabbie and Tess are noticeably uncomfortable in the heat. We decide to fill up the black tub with water. The dogs climb in the water to cool off. Suz and I douse ourselves with water from the hose and sit on the patio.

Later we enjoy leftovers from a still cool fridge and read before turning in. Only WMOA radio has updates on what has been a major event for millions of people in several states. We cringe at official statements from AEP that power restoration is days away.

Sunday we attend mass at St. Mary church. With the warm weather and no power, mass is over in 30 minutes. On the way home we discover that ice is available and stuff several bags into the refrigerator and freezer compartments.

Later I decide to golf. Why not? Turns out the country club has power now. When I return - could it be?....I hear the AC running. Power is back. Wow. What a relief. But we can't help thinking about how many others still have no power.

I realize how much we take for granted when power is on - so many electronic devices, the fixation with on-line access, emails, and other "stuff." We had a chance, for a day or two, to try other things like reading, talking, and doing nothing. Perhaps we can learn something about the experience.








No comments:

Post a Comment